Here is where a car emergency kit comes in to help you stay prepared. Every vehicle should have an emergency supply kit in the trunk. Kits should be checked every six months, and expired items should be replaced regularly. Vehicle emergency supply kits should include the following:
- A properly inflated spare tire, wheel wrench and tripod jack
- Jumper cables
- Tool kit and/or a multipurpose utility tool
- Flashlight and extra batteries or a small solar lamp
- Reflective triangles and brightly coloured cloth to make your vehicle more visible
- Manual compass
- First aid kit with cotton, tape, bandages, antibiotic ointment, aspirin, a blanket, non-latex gloves, scissors, hydrocortisone, thermometer, tweezers and instant cold compress
- Nonperishable, high-energy foods, such as unsalted nuts, dried fruits and hard candy
- Drinking water, energy drinks
- Reflective vest in case you need to walk to get help
- Car charger for your cell phone
- Fire extinguisher
- Duct tape
- Rain poncho
- Additional items for cold weather include a snow brush and shovel (depending on local weather conditions), windshield washer fluid, warm clothing, cat litter for traction and blankets.
- It's also a good idea to keep family and emergency phone numbers in your phone, including your auto insurance provider and a towing company.
Emergency kits become crucial as they include equipment to tackle a car breakdown and get it back to running. Some equipment to include are jumper cables or even a set of wrenches to tighten loose bolts. This equipment should help with minor fixes and be able to get you to the nearest stop to call for help.
You should also include necessary survival essentials, like food and water, and not to forget, a First Aid box. Ensure your First Aid box is packed with essentials like pain relievers, antiseptics, bandages, gauze and ointments. They are crucial to have as you don't know how long you can be stranded if anyone sustains an injury.
It’s also important to have resources that help you flag down assistance. Such resources are reflective cones, flares, and even flashlights, all which can signal other drivers of your presence and prevent them from crashing into you in dark conditions. It also serves as a call for help.
As good as it is to be prepared for any emergencies, it is best to take preventive measures to minimize the chances of the same as much as possible. Ensuring regular car maintenance with a trusted and credible Car Service Center becomes crucial, as getting world-class servicing can prevent a lot of unwanted situations and secure your safety throughout your journeys.